Thursday was a bit of a random night. But brilliant. Decided to kill two birds with one stone. I have tried and failed to meet up with Philip Levine (pictured left), an artist who works closely with CALM, several times to discuss the project. He co-produces a movement called Art Below. I asked him to attend an RSA networking event with me, the idea behind the evening was to try and meet a mentor - in the shape of an RSA Fellow - who could perhaps help negotiate a few of the hurdles I am faced with. A couple business cards later, it was all over. The fruits of those particular encounters should be realised over coffee next week.Moments later Philip is bundling me and this newly acquainted scratch team of transients into a cab headed for the Italian Institute of Culture among us, Ben (his partner in crime), Clare (the RSA Fellowship Coordinator) and Jackie a Fellowship veteran. Clare turns to me in a moment of insanity and asked me to join the Fellowship, "What as an actual Fellow?" ... she replied, "Yes, when you feel ready."
Before I know it I am on the balcony of a rather opulent building pitching to a bunch of well dressed Europeans who are there for the free drinks: "... and tell me, why would Sony want to be associated with a project like this anyway?". So I tell her. She promptly hands me her business card and promises to put me in touch with Lucy who would be delighted to hear from me come Monday.
For me the night ends back in the French House in Soho and Jackie knowledgeably regales tails of the French Revolution before marching us in the general direction of the Groucho Club - this is where I opt out (I have an appointment on Skype) and dart for the last tube not before thanking Philip for an excellent night of networking. He tells me earnestly, that's just how he rolls.

No comments:
Post a Comment